Total Pageviews

Monday, January 31, 2011

E.B.: Why Antarctica


There are approximately 21,000 people who visited Antarctica last year. To give you an idea of what that means, it is roughly equivalent to 1/8 of the tourists who visit France on any given day. Just ask yourself, how many people do you know who have gone? (We have a survey on the upper-right hand side where you can answer)

Last year almost ¼ of the tourists were from the U.S. The second-highest group was Germans followed by Brits and Australians. Our cruise ships fits 126 passengers, I’ll be interested to see if our demographics match the average.

I initially planned the trip as a celebration for turning 30 without children (though I would have loved to have had my favorite kids/teens join). I liked that it was my 7th and last continent to visit. I liked that I had found a 21st century vacation where I wouldn’t be reachable by phone or e-mail. I liked the idea of all those baby penguins and the quest for Whitney's imaginary friend.

And so it began. We researched all the various options and settled not on the best reviewed or the most award winning, we went with the cheapest. We may regret this.

No comments:

Post a Comment