Total Pageviews

Monday, January 31, 2011

Whitney: Has El Nino screwed NYC?


Today I felt like I was preparing for Antarctica by getting in touch with my bitter roots. After spending four years in upstate NY for school, I fled to the equator for five years to thaw out from those bitterly cold winters. Due to an obligation for my job, I am returning to my alma mater, Cornell University, tomorrow in the midst of another forecasted snow storm. As I was packing this evening I looked over at the pile of stuff growing for Antarctica and gingerly started picking through them to determine which select items might prevent my eyelashes from freezing together when the wind whips so hard that my eyes water, but the water freezes the eyelashes shut before they form tears. Or is there some sort of head covering I can wear to prevent the snot from freezing while still in my nose? Needless to say the memories are still quite raw.

As I have been checking the weather throughout the day to determine the force of the snowstorm, I thought perhaps I should check the weather in Antarctica. Do they have weather for Antarctica? Can you select it as one of your preferred locals on your iPhone? This is something every one should do this winter as you will realize that global warming really is taking effect. Turns out that weather.com does have the weather forecast for Antarctica, and there are multiple locations - not just one temperature reading for the entire region, like I had originally thought. Here was the shocking discovery – McMurdo, Antarctica; Base Esperanza, Antarctica; Centro Met. Antartico, Antarctica were all at least 10 degrees warmer than NYC today. I can’t believe I went to school in a place colder than Antarctica. This topic clearly requires further research as I fear that either weather.com is not 100% accurate(!), or summer in Antarctica doesn’t require buying eyelash warmers.

No comments:

Post a Comment